About Stuff

Sunday, March 11, 2007

WINDOWS IS RELIABLE?!

Something quite funny and sad happened last weekend. I went home with my external hard disk and plugged it in a PC there. I tried to play some video files but Windows just hanged for what seemed to be eternity (to me, a to-be Software Engineer). Long story short, sometime later the folder containing the folders was still there but everything inside it was gone. I tried another PC and nothing was there, inside the folder. Whenever a should-be reliable system/device crashed, I just cannot help but get angry. Two days later, I'm back at KFUPM, plugged my external to my PC, tried to copy the files again to the folder and everything wen smooth till I finished copying. The folder was still empty with zero size. I tried to delete it but Windows wouldn't allow me to, so I just ignored the whole thing. I just happened to restart my PC a few times that day and on the second time Windows spotted an error in my external. A few minutes later, everything was back to its original state. I gotta admit that this is the first time Windows surprised me in a good way.

MS Windows

Does this mean that I like Windows now? NO!

See, I find it just worth sharing that Windows did something it should do (recovering some files that Windows itself damaged). The funny part here is that I connected my external to two machines with Windows XP Professional and nothing happened but when I connected it to my PC, which runs on Windows XP Home, things worked out!

One of the first things I will do when I graduate is switch to Mac.

1 Comments:

  • My external HDD has been suffering a severe slowdown since this incident (way to go Windows!).

    By Blogger Sadeq, at 4:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home