About Stuff

Monday, December 17, 2007

THE SAVE SYSTEM IN MASS EFFECT

So I finished Mass Effect, or should I say my first playthrough. I love the game but I'm still mad at it, a lot. Why? The save system reminds me of Dead Rising's save system, though it certainly is not as bad.

Near the end of the game, I finally find my first armor for one of my favorite characters, Tali (picture above). And since I am playing after a week break, I forgot to save myself. My character dies later and I choose "Resume" only to find that one and only armor for this character gone. I load my save game and try again and again to get it from the same enemy encounter but no, it's freakin' gone, as simple as that.

Another stupid "accident" that is totally the game's fault: I start a new game to try a different character class only to find all my previous save files gone. You would expect some sort of warning from the game before it deletes your precious save files, but hell no; the game is just THAT stupid. Now I want that save because I could start a new game using the same save file with all my hard earned items, weapons, upgrades, armors and character level (39 if you must know).

What can I say? I still love the game and it would be very interesting to see how they handle the different story aspects affected by players' choices. Is it really that hard for new games (especially on XBOX 360) to figure a good save system? Am I asking for too much here? Why can't all games at least have a good "Resume"/"Continue" system? I mean look at Uncharted, you practically don't have to save at all while playing it; it takes care of the whole mess and you, the player, don't need to micro manage anything. I hope BioWare gets it right next time. And here's a tip for you, always save while playing Mass Effect.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home