About Stuff

Saturday, April 08, 2006

For the last three programming courses, everytime I hand-in my exam paper, I end up to one and only one result: I am not cut out to be a programmer.
Is this true? Let me tell you a few facts then you can judge yourself.

Written exams from my department (Information and Computer Science - ICS) are somehow like this:
Suppose your instructor gives you a homework. In the description he tells you that the user should be able to do a, b, and c. You do your homework and you expect no less than an A. The grades are given and guess what? You got an F, or what I like to call big-O (meaning zero). Now, why did that happen? The instructor answers: blah, blah, blah, graphical user interface, blah, blah, blah. You just happened to do a console menu-driven application, which is the 1st thing that came to your mind since the description did not specify anything. The instructor answers with a smile that some students asked and he told them that they should use GUI.

In sum, you are never given what you need to accomplish what you are expected (not asked) to do. My last such exam was confusing and I am one who does not like to ask questions during the exam. I believe that if many students are asking questions during the exam means that the exam was badly written (probably rushed on a Saturdaynight or so).

So my grade in the exam was way below the average. Still, students got hight grades, that's why the average is so high. Well, let me tell you this: in the last practical quiz in the same course, my grade was much above the average. Actually, so far my lab assignments are higher than the average.

So, where is the problem? Answer: I got 57/100 in this last exam (22.5/50 for programming questions and 34.5/50 for theoritical questions). The average was about 72.

Am I not a good programmer if my written exam is below average yet all my practical work is above average?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home